Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Symphony

I was on a walk today. Out of nowhere-as thoughts usually seem to be birthed-I realized how I consider every person in my life to be a truly critical point in the creation of the "masterpiece" I hope to evolve into at the end of my life. It's as if every individual is a dot and digit on a paint by number canvas. As small and insignificant those dots might seem without the connections, once the line travels through them, once the color is added, the significance of that dot is instrumental in the creation of the bigger picture. By the end, once the last dot is connected and once the line becomes an unobstructed continuous shape, the beholder and the creator can bare witness to a brilliant masterpiece. The layers of colors, the textures and techniques speak to the sequence of events that add to our minutes, hours, days, etc...

For some reason, my [our] brain [and this goes for any and everyone else, I only speak for myself since I only know what is in my mind] has an ability to take into consideration the depth and the true meaning of the individuals in our lives. As I was walking, I was consumed by this thought.

Many times, I've told my dear friend, Jon, who is in a very accomplished band, about the day I realized how important each instrument was in their band. I had never been able to hear the bass before, which is what he plays, but one day while at a show of theirs, it hit me: These instruments, on their own, could still sound great but had they not been together, and if each instrument was not there, no matter how insignificant the instrument might appear, the sound that we've heard would not be the same.

Now, this to me seems to be an almost daft realization to state out loud because it seems so obvious. But to me, it seems the most obvious things are never stated because--well, they seem too obvious to state--but in reality, if they are never stated, never vocally realized and celebrated, then we might miss the importance and sacredness of a thing. We might never pay attention to the uniqueness, the seemingly unimportant and the everyday. We might never revere the "instruments" that have been creating the symphony we love: Life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am a big dot of yoursss! ;)